The Southern Research STEM Education Outreach Team is looking for STEM Ambassadors to help execute our Drone Academy program this summer!
Drone Academy is a scholarship-based, week-long summer program that offers a balanced, blended experience integrating interactive STEM learning, student mentoring, and career exposure designed for 9th-12th grade students. Through hands-on UAV construction, flying exercises, and experimenting, students will gain the skills needed to compete in today’s drone-centric world.
Drone Academy is sponsored by Southern Research and will be held in Southern Research’s state-of-the art STEM learning lab in Birmingham, Alabama. Students will engage in hands-on activities in the laboratory as well as hear from scientists and engineers. The program curriculum will promote discovery and teach problem-solving skills and teamwork, while enhancing student understanding of necessary technology skills needed to be successful in STEM careers. Check out our landing page for Drone Academy here.
As a Southern Research STEM Ambassador, you will gain extensive leadership and non-profit experience, build relationships with a wide cross section of the community including leading scientists and engineers, and help advance our mission to embolden students who possess a passion for innovation and discovery to pursue their interests and strengthen the STEM community. Southern Research is committed to fostering creativity and impacting the future generation. Ideal candidates are passionate about STEM education, motivated to grow as a leader, and eager to gain experience working with students.
About STEM Ambassadors
- To be eligible for a Southern Research STEM Ambassador position, you must be either an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a university pursuing a career in a STEM related discipline or secondary education.
- Experience relating to engineering design, 3D printing, and application of electrical engineering principles is preferred, but not required.
- We are looking for students who are passionate for STEM education and demonstrate excellent organizational and communications skills, are proactive, and able to work as part of a team.
- It is important that you are responsible, punctual, and detail-oriented.
Southern Research STEM Ambassadors will receive $1625 following the conclusion of the program. We will also provide you with a Southern Research STEM t-shirt and lunch each day of the program.
- Assist in facilitating laboratory experiences in a variety of STEM disciplines, with a particular focus on engineering design.
- Lead discussions on scientific and engineering topics.
- Serve as a mentor to participating high school students.
Program dates are as follows. STEM Ambassadors will also be expected to arrive early and stay late on each day, as well as attend a training session on June 3-4.
- June 15 – 19
- June 22 – 26
- July 6 – 10
- July 13 – 17
The program will take place in the STEM Education Outreach Center at Southern Research: 2000 9th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35205.
If you are interested in becoming a Southern Research STEM Ambassador please fill out the application located in the Apply Now! tab above. The deadline to apply is April 17th. If you have questions concerning the application process or the program, please send them to email@example.com, with the subject line: STEM Ambassador Program.
If you are interested in becoming a Southern Research STEM Ambassador please fill out the application below and upload a copy of your CV/resume along with a letter of interest (optional). Applications to work Drone Academy are due April 30, 2020.