The Southern Research STEM Education Outreach Team is looking for STEM Ambassadors to help execute our Drone Academy Program this summer!
Drone Academy is a scholarship-based, week-long program designed for high school students. The program offers a balanced, blended experience that integrates interactive STEM learning with career exposure in a series of week-long summer sessions. Drone Academy is sponsored by the Motorola Solutions Foundation, Best Buy, and Southern Research. Drone Academy will be held in Southern Research’s state-of-the art STEM learning lab in Birmingham, Alabama. Drone Academy will promote discovery and teach problem-solving skills and teamwork, while enhancing student understanding of necessary technology skills needed to be successful in STEM careers. Check out the Drone Academy page for more info.
As a Southern Research STEM Ambassador, you will gain extensive leadership and non-profit experience, build relationships with a wide cross section of the community including leading scientists and engineers, and help advance our mission to embolden students who possess a passion for innovation and discovery to pursue their interests and strengthen the STEM community. Southern Research is committed to fostering creativity and impacting the future generation. Ideal candidates are passionate about STEM education, motivated to grow as a leader, and eager to gain experience working with students.
About STEM Ambassadors
- To be eligible for a Southern Research STEM Ambassador position, you must be either an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a university pursuing a career in a STEM related discipline or secondary education.
- We are looking for students who are passionate for STEM education and demonstrate excellent organizational and communications skills, are proactive, and able to work as part of a team.
- It is important that you are responsible, punctual, and detail-oriented.
- All Southern Research STEM Ambassadors must also be US Citizens.
Southern Research STEM Ambassadors will receive $1625 following the conclusion of the program. We will also provide you with a Southern Research STEM t-shirt and lunch each day of the program.
- Assist in facilitating lab activities in a variety of STEM disciplines.
- Lead discussions on scientific and engineering topics.
- Serve as a mentor to participating high school students.
Program dates are as follows. The active hours of the camp are from 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM. STEM Ambassadors will be expected to arrive early and stay late on each day, as well as attend a training session on Thursday, June 13th.
- June 17th – 21st
- June 24th – 28th
- July 22nd – 26th
- July 29th – August 2nd
If you have a minor time conflict with these days or hours, please let us know as we may be able to accommodate your schedule.
The program will take place in the STEM Education Outreach Center at Southern Research: 2000 9th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35205.
If you are interested in becoming a Southern Research STEM Ambassador please fill out the application below. The deadline to apply is May 10th. If you have questions concerning the application process or the program, please send them to email@example.com, with the subject line: STEM Ambassador Program.