The Southern Research STEM Education Outreach Team is looking for STEM Ambassadors to help facilitate and execute our field trip, camp, and outreach experiences with K-12 students!
Southern Research offers hands-on field trip experiences for 6th – 12th grade students that provide the opportunity for students to explore and engage in critical thinking, problem solving, and collaboration across a wide array of scientific and engineering concepts. Additionally, these field trip experiences expose students to various pathways that can lead to a career in STEM. Each field trip is aligned with the Alabama Course of Study as well as the cutting-edge work conducted by Southern Research scientists and engineers.
Students engage in laboratory experiments and STEM experiences with real-world applications. The field trip program curriculum includes offerings covering infectious diseases, antibiotic resistance, green engineering and renewable energy, and ocean acidification. Southern Research also visits elementary schools to share the wonder and excitement of STEM with K-5 students. Check out the Field Trip page for more info.
Additionally, Southern Research expands upon these scientific and engineering disciplines through week-long spring break camps and summer academies. Go to our Drone Academy page to find out more.
As a Southern Research STEM Ambassador, you will gain extensive leadership and non-profit experience, build relationships with a wide cross section of the community including leading scientists and engineers, and help advance our mission to embolden students who possess a passion for innovation and discovery to pursue their interests and strengthen the STEM community. Southern Research is committed to fostering creativity and impacting the future generation. Ideal candidates are passionate about STEM education, motivated to grow as a leader, and eager to gain experience working with students.
About STEM Ambassadors
- To be eligible for a Southern Research STEM Ambassador position, you must be either an undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at a university pursuing a career in a STEM related discipline or education.
- We are looking for students who are passionate for STEM education and demonstrate excellent organizational and communications skills, are proactive, and able to work as part of a team.
- It is important that you are responsible, punctual, and detail-oriented.
- Assist in facilitating laboratory experiences in a variety of STEM disciplines.
- Lead discussions on scientific and engineering topics.
- Collaborate on curriculum design.
The program will take place in the STEM Education Outreach Center at Southern Research: 2000 9th Avenue South, Birmingham, AL 35205.
If you are interested in becoming a Southern Research STEM Ambassador please fill our the application below and upload a copy of your CV/resume along with a letter of interest.