Focus & Recent Advancements
Clean technologies have the potential to significantly impact global energy consumption, health, and economies, all while reducing negative environmental impacts within industry, commerce, and our everyday lives. In addition, global cleantech investment has grown rapidly form $47 billion in 2004 to over $270 billion in 2017. Innovative cleantech solutions being developed should make it even more affordable and easier, in principle, to achieve the UN Sustainable Development Goals, addressing sustainability in developed and least developed countries.
With rapid growth and investment, and growing need to achieve sustainability goals, trustworthy information regarding the potential impacts and performance of new cleantech innovations is needed to reduce investment and deployment risks and ensure positive sustainability impacts are achieved. Southern Research Energy & Environment has independently evaluated over 100 clean technologies for clean water, clean energy, greenhouse gas mitigation, transportation, and industrial processes to provide high quality data to decision makers for over 20 years. Examples include:
- Demonstration of more than 40 technologies to mitigate greenhouse gas emissions for the U.S. EPA as operator of the EPA ETV Greenhouse Gas Technology Center
- Evaluation of more than 20 CO2 capture and utilization technologies for the NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE Competition
Capabilities and Expertise
One of SR’s core strengths is our neutrality: we serve as an independent, third-party expert that can provide insight into the potential impacts, benefits, and value of innovative technology. We do that through due diligence and feasibility studies, real-world field testing, and lab- and pilot-scale evaluation of technologies. We serve as a leader in independent technology verification, and we have been the U.S. lead in the establishment of a new ISO standard for Environmental Technology Verification.
Our Measurement & Verification team focuses on those technologies that are near commercial or commercial ready, but not broadly deployed. Our technology evaluations provide insight into potential impacts of technology deployment for technologies that are new to the market and for which testing or product certification standards have not been developed.
SR E&E’s technology demonstration and validation group is certified ISO 9001 for quality systems management and operates in conformance with those standards. In addition, we are in the process of becoming the first verification body in the U.S. that is accredited under the recently published ISO 14034 standard for environmental technology verification. ISO 14034 enables a market-driven approach to technology evaluation based on a standardized procedure that encourages the sharing of verification results across multiple jurisdictions.
Our group is also focusing on the evaluation of sustainability impacts of cleantech, investments, policies, and programs, using consensus metrics and approaches. We also provide technoeconomic evaluations and lifecycle emissions assessments for new innovations and greenhouse gas emission inventories and assessments.
Clean Technology and Sustainability Initiatives
Southern Research is developing new initiatives focused on evaluating and developing clean technology innovations and analyzing their impact on the environment, sustainable development and economic growth. SR desires to partner and engage with organizations to support and further develop these initiatives, broadening their potential impact and driving implementation of innovative technologies. Our goal is to help achieve critical sustainable development goals, carbon mitigation targets, and clean energy utilization in order to provide long-term environmental, health, and economic benefits for all. Learn more.
For more details on our ETV capabilities, please download a brochure.
- Validation of CO2 Capture & Utilization Technologies for the NRG COSIA Carbon XPRIZE
- Demonstration and Verification of the Ener-Core Power Oxidizer EC250 Powerstation
- Technical Assessment of Aqueous Sludge Gasification Technologies with EPA ETV Program
- Demonstration and Verification of a Solar Thermal Cooling System Utilizing an Adsorption Chiller
- Demonstration and Verification of Organic Rankine Cycle Technology to Increase Generation Efficiency
- Performance of a Greenhouse Gas and Criteria Air Pollutant Emissions Inventory for Port Authority NJ & NY
- Cleantech & Sustainability Services Statement of Qualifications
- Environmental Technology Verification Capabilities and ISO 14034 Implementation