Real, authentic research experiences.
Southern Research’s Summer Internship Program for STEM Educators (SIPSE) is a professional development program for Alabama high school teachers. Implemented by Southern Research’s STEM Outreach Program, SIPSE provides paid summer internships for 9th- through 12th-grade STEM educators in research laboratories at Southern Research. Teachers spend six weeks learning first-hand how scientists and engineers approach problems, design experiments, interpret data, communicate findings, and develop and implement workplace solutions. SIPSE offers Alabama educators real-world applications of the subjects they teach, allowing them to increase content knowledge and gain practical examples of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics applications for enriched instruction and teaching practices based on evidence-based experiences.
- Teachers with a $4500 stipend for their participation in the program
- Professional learning credits upon successful completion of all program requirements.
- Weekly professional development workshops offered throughout the summer
- Up to $500 for the teacher to purchase supplies needed to support their Action Plan (lab supplies, computer software, etc.)
- Feedback to the teacher’s principal and system coordinator on your Action Plan
2018 SIPSE Class
From left to right: Raisa Eady, Pinson Valley HS; Samantha Davis, Russell County HS; Jacqueline Thomas-Edwards, McAdory HS; Kathryn Lanier, SR STEM Education Outreach Director; Jay LeCroy, Chilton County HS; Janet Ort, Hoover HS; Candyce Monroe, Tarrant HS
We are no longer accepting applications for 2018.
- 9th-12th grade teachers employed full time in public or private schools with primary teaching assignments in science, technology, engineering, math, computer science or education. Teachers must be assigned a full-time teaching load during the academic year prior to and after the summer fellowship appointment
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident status required
- February 4: Applications open
- March 4: Applications due
- June 10: First day of SIPSE
- July 18: SIPSE Poster Session
- July 19: Last day of SIPSE
Become a SIPSE Sponsor
As a SIPSE sponsor you will have the opportunity to inspire those who first inspired you. For many of us, we can point to a specific teacher who first believed in our intellectual abilities or inspired us to pursue a career in the STEM field. This is a way to say “Thank you.” SIPSE sponsors will introduce high school STEM educators to real world applications of the subjects they teach, bringing new meaning to inquiry, problem solving, and reasoning.
Benefits of Participation
1. By sponsoring just one teacher, you will be impacting and inspiring the lives of hundreds of students in a given school year. Imagine the possibilities that can grow from an opportunity like that!
2. Our SIPSE Fellows are bright and motivated individuals who participate in this program for the sole purpose of learning, growing, and strengthening the foundations of their students. Their pure intentions and enthusiasm bring new perspectives to the work environment.
3. You will be playing a direct role in strengthening the STEM curriculum taught in Alabama and contributing to a better prepared workforce.
4. The opportunity for involvement with your SIPSE teacher’s students through guest speaking, class field trips, etc.